Tuesday 6 November 2012

Living on my own.

Now that I'm officially done studying, I consider myself to be a responsible adult. However, with responsibility comes independence. Someday I will be living on my own, and when I do I want to be fully prepared. Living on my own will be really scary for me, mostly because I'm used to and quite comfortable living with my parents.

Image source: strausssecurityblog.com

Before moving into a place of your own, these are the things that everyone should consider:

  • CHOOSE WISELY - When choosing a place to rent or buy, investigate its surroundings carefully and find out what security measures are in place in your potential home and area. 
  • PROTECT FROM THE INSIDE - Install good locks, burglar bars, a security gate and an alarm system linked to an armed response company if it doesn't have it already. 
  • TRUST YOUR INTUITION - Never ignore your sense of intuition, if you get home and something seems out of place, don't assume that because you have burglar bars that you'll be safe. Contact the police immediately!
  • WOMEN SHOULD CONSIDER SELF-DEFENCE CLASSES - This will teach you the skills needed in order to prevent injury in an attack. 
  • PROTECT FROM THE OUTSIDE - Don't welcome burglars to hide in your garden full of tall plants and trees, take care of it and trim where necessary to avoid this. You should also ensure entrances are well lit and could maybe even consider sensor lights.
  • BE AWARE OF STRANGER DANGER - When someone is at the door, give the impression that you're not alone by shouting out that you'l see who it is. You should also never let anyone unfamiliar inside no matter what the circumstances are.
We live in a very scary world today, let us be safe and look out for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment